- These delicate birds look great together on the wall, but that is just one of many display ideas. Hang them on a special package, use them with a colorful ribbon to trim the tree or wreath during the holidays, or use a few together with other sculptures or wall art to create movement and "tell a story." One set - lots of possibilities!
- Spring Handmade Metal birds for indoor or outdoor decor.
- Fair trade isn't just a catch phrase. It's the way we do business.
- Color variations from dark silver to rustic bronze tones.
- We are proud to support our artists with fair trade practices.
Hanging these birds on a wall is easy with one or two nails each. Place a small finishing nail at a good balancing point near the middle and then place a second nail up toward the wingtip so that the bird “flies” at the angle you desire. Though it is protected with a weather-proof finish, this sculpture will rust over time, if exposed to outdoor weather. To prevent this from happening, grab a can of spray on enamel at the hardware store and go to it. Once a year should be plenty. It’s a snap!In the village of Croix-des-Bouquets, Haiti, the air rings with the sound of metal banging against metal. Workshops line the streets of the village and outside each are stacks of discarded 55-gallon drums awaiting transformation. To begin the process, the tops of the barrels are removed and the open barrel is stuffed with straw and dried banana leaves and then set ablaze.This burns out the residue and old paint and strengthens the metal. After the barrels have cooled, they are slit down the side, pried open, pounded flat and sanded down, giving the artist a smooth flat surface, much like a painter’s canvas. The artist chalks his design onto the metal and then, using a hammer and chisel, begins the work of cutting the sculpture and giving it form, detail and dimension.When he is satisfied with his results, he pounds his signature onto the sculpture and seals it with a protective, weather-proof finish.